The Solar Plexus Chakra
Radiate your power in the world,” could say the solar plexus chakra. Characterized by the expression of will, personal power, and mental abilities, the energy of the third chakra or Manipura in Sanskrit is mobilized when we assert ourselves in the world. Discover its key characteristics and how to make the most of this powerful energy center.
Introducing the Solar Plexus or Manipura chakra
Let’s start by exploring the basics, including the location, color, and symbol of the solar plexus chakra. Then, we are going to look at possible signs of imbalance in the third chakra and what to do to heal your solar plexus centerand restore its balance to its optimal state.
Chakra Key Elements
First, we’re going to look at the Solar Plexus chakra basics:
- Location: In the solar plexus area (upper part of the belly, where your diaphragm rests); it is the third chakra from the bottom in the traditional system counting 7 chakras
- Color: Yellow (higher frequencies of this chakra can turn into golden yellow)
- Symbol: A circle with 10 petals in which is inscribed a downward-pointing triangle
- Original name in Sanskrit: Manipura
- Element: Fire
Additional elements used in modern energy healing practices are healing crystals and aromatherapy. If you’re curious, here’s a list of the most common ones:
- Solar Plexus chakra healing stones: Citrine, tirger’s eye, yellow tourmaline
- Essential oils: Chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, rosemary are amongst the most popular soothing oils
Main Chakra Meanings
The main meanings associated with the third chakra are:
- Will, personal power
- Taking responsibility for one’s life, taking control
- Mental abilities, the intellect
- Forming personal opinions and beliefs
- Making decisions, setting the direction
- Clarity of judgments
- Personal identity, personality
- Self-assurance, confidence
When the Solar Plexus chakra is open and the energy in this center is balanced, these functions naturally find a clear and effortless outlet. However, in case the flow of energy is disturbed, whether because the Manipura chakra is overactive or blocked, symptoms may range from energetic and emotional to physical.
Chakra Element: Fire
The Manipura chakra is traditionally related to the element of fire, though some contemporary healing movements connect it to the element of air. It has a connection with the sun, heat, the energy of light, all forms of power.
Chakra Color: Yellow
The Solar Plexus chakra is most commonly represented with the color yellow. Since it’s associated with the element of fire, it is also sometimes depicted with yellowish red.
Chakra Location: Solar Plexus
The most commonly accepted location for the third chakra is at the solar plexus level, between the navel and the lower part of the chest. That’s why it’s often referred to as the “solar plexus chakra.” Some traditions place it more loosely in the navel area.
Closely connected to the digestive system, especially the gastric and hypogastric plexi, its main function is to help transform matter into energy to fuel your body. It governs metabolism and is commonly associated with the pancreas.
The main elements of the Solar Plexus chakra symbol [LINK] are:
- A circle with ten petals
- An downward-pointing triangle
The inverted triangle represents the fire element and the transformative powerof this energy center. Fire turns matter into energy that can be used to propel, move forward. The ten petals are often represented with the color blue, like the blue color of the flame.